Online Copyright Registration in India

Protect your creative work
Books, Songs, film, websites, Software, painting, fashion Design etc
Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 8851046564

Author Topic: A married person marries another woman and refuses to maintain her  (Read 4079 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Guest
What happens when a married person marries another woman and refuses to maintain her?

Offline tapsash

  • Jr. Legal Expert
  • **
  • Posts: 50
  • Karma: +3/-0
  • Divorce law Expert
    • View Profile
    • Divorce lawyer
Re: A married person marries another woman and refuses to maintain her
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:48:04 AM »
Section 5 of the Hindu Marriage act, 1955 prescribes the essential conditions for a marriage between two Hindus after the commencement of the Act. First condition is that neither party has a spouse living at the time of marriage. A marriage in contravention of this conditions is void ab initio. Section 17 of the Act expressly declares such marriage to be void and the concerned person to be guilty of an offence of bigamy under Ss. 494 and 495 of the Penal Code.

If a married person marries another woman, the first wife can seek a declaration that the second marriage of her husband is a nullity. She can prosecute her husband for an offence of bigamy. Further, she can apply under S.13(i) (i) of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 for dissolution of her marriage by a decree of divorce on the ground that her husband, after the solemnization of the marriage, had voluntary sexual intercourse with another female.

Still further, she can claim maintenance from her said husband under S.18(i) of the Hindu Adoptions and
Maintenance Act 1956. The right of a wife to m maintenance is an incident of the status or estate of
matrimony and a Hindu is under a legal obligation to maintain his wife. Sub Section (i) ofS.18 of the Act
Substantially reiterates .that right.

The question is whether she is entitled to separate residence within the meaning of S.18(2) of the said Act. This Sub Section says that a Hindu wife shall be entitled to live separately from her husband without forfeiting her claim, to maintenance if he has any other wife living.

Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 provides "When either the husband or the wife has without reasonable excuse, withdrawn from the society of the other, the aggrieved party may apply, by petition to the district court, for restitution of conjugal rights and the court, on being satisfied of the truth of the statements made in such petition and that there is no legal ground why the application should not be granted, may decree restitution of conjugal rights accordingly. The foundation of the right to bring a suit for restitution of conjugal rights is the fundamental rule of matrimonial law that one spouse is entitled to the society and comfort consortium of the other spouse.
Family law Expert
Contact me at ph no: 9873628941
Webpage: Divorce in India

Free legal Advice - lawyers Forum


File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

lawyers in Milan

Delhi - New Delhi
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration
Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi
-Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2018
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India