Free legal Advice - lawyers Forum

Legal Profession => Lawyers in India => Topic started by: hodak on September 10, 2017, 06:25:21 AM

Title: Help with International Law
Post by: hodak on September 10, 2017, 06:25:21 AM
Hi there! If a government or it's related agencies had violated civil, human and workers rights can someone as an individual seek to be heard in an International Court of Law? Is it true that these courts deal with disputes between nations/states and an individual cannot be heard in them?
Title: Re: Help with International Law
Post by: advjaibansal on January 19, 2018, 06:59:46 PM
Dear Sir,

You can file a writ petition rather than going to international court of justice.

Title: Re: Help with International Law
Post by: kalaskarkk on January 21, 2018, 07:24:10 AM
Dear Friend

Please check the following information and visit below link:

What is the International Court of Justice?

The Court is the principal judicial organ of the United Nations. It was established by the United Nations Charter, signed in 1945 at San Francisco (United States), and began work in 1946 in the Peace Palace, The Hague (Netherlands).

The Court, which is composed of 15 judges, has a dual role: in accordance with international law, settling legal disputes between States submitted to it by them and giving advisory opinions on legal matters referred to it by duly authorized United Nations organs and specialized agencies.

The official languages of the Court are English and French.

Who may submit cases to the Court?

Only States are eligible to appear before the Court in contentious cases. At present, this basically means the 192 United Nations Member States.

The Court has no jurisdiction to deal with applications from individuals, non-governmental organizations, corporations or any other private entity. It cannot provide them with legal counselling or help them in their dealings with the authorities of any State whatever.

However, a State may take up the case of one of its nationals and invoke against another State the wrongs which its national claims to have suffered at the hands of the latter; the dispute then becomes one between States.