Who should File Return?
Following persons are required to file return of their income, duly filled in
completely and correctly:
1) Individuals, Hindu undivided families, Association of Persons (AOP)/Body of
Individuals (BOI) (where individual shares of the members are known) and
artificial juridical persons (such as deities of temples), having taxable
income exceeding Rs. 1,00,000 ( Rs. 1,35,000 in case of a resident women
below 65 years or Rs 1,85,000 in case of a senior citizen of 65 years or more).
Note: Filing of return is compulsory if the taxable income exceeds the
exemption limit (as above) event if the tax payable is nil or refundable.
2) Non-resident Indians except1 those covered u/s 115AC and 115G: having taxable
income exceeding Rs. 1,00,000.
3) Individuals (including NRls ), HUFs, AOPs/BOls and artificial juridical persons,
having total income (before making deduction u/ss 10A or 10B or 10BA or Chapter
VI-A) exceeding Rs. 1,00,000 (Rs. 1,35,000 in case of a resident women below 65
years or Rs. 1,85,000 in case of a senior citizen of 65 years or more).
[Sec. 139(1) Fourth Proviso]
4) Societies and Trusts deriving income from property held for charitable or
religious purposes or receiving voluntary contribution for such purposes, and
having total income (before giving effect of
Sec. 11 and 12) exceeding Rs. 1 ,00,000.
5) A scientific research institution, news agency, association or institution, fund or
trust or university or other educational institution or any hospital or other
medical institution or trade union claiming exemption u/s 10(21), (22B), (23A),
(23B), (23C) 1[iiiad)/ (iiiae)/](iv)/(v)/(vi)/(via) or (24), whose total income,
before claiming exemption, exceeds Rs. 1,00,000. [Sec. 139( 4C)]
5A. A university, college or other institution referred to u/s 35(1 )(ii)/(iii),
not otherwise required to furnish return of income.] [Sec. 139( 4D)]
6) AOP/BOI where shares of the members are indeterminate or unknown,
irrespective of income.
7) All partnership firms irrespective of income.
8) Co-operative society, company and local authority, irrespective of
Note: Filing of return by companies and partnership firms is mandatory
9) Any person who has suffered a loss from business or profession or
speculative business or capital loss, should furnish his return of income by the
due date otherwise the facility of set off and carry forward of loss shall not
10) Units/undertakings claiming deduction u/s 10A 2[or 10B] are also
required 'to furnish their return of income before the due date specified u/s
11) Units/undertakings claiming deduction u/s SO-lA, 80-IAB, 80-IB or
80-IC are also required to furnish their return of income before the due date.
12) Any person who has paid tax (by way of TDS or advance tax) in excess of tax
payable on total income, or who has paid tax but does not have taxable income,
is advised to file his return for claiming refund of tax excess paid.
Persons who have not filed their return and have received a notice for
assessment under section 142( 1) or reassessment u/s 148.
Note: Any other person, who so desires, can file its return of income
even if its come is below the maximum amount not chargeable to tax.
Contents of the Return
Acknowledgement Slip (in Duplicate) : It is a summary of the return
c0ntaining name, address, status, Permanent Account Number, a brief statement of
taxable income, deductions and. tax paid, verification, etc.
Return Form 3 :
Schedule A: Salaries
Schedule B: Income from House Property Schedule C: Capital Gains
Schedule D: Income from Other Sources
Schedule E: Statement of Set Off of current year's and Brought Forward Losses.
Schedule F: Statement of Total Income Schedule G: Statement of Taxes