The 47th law commission report was submitted to the government of India in
1972.the report dealt with the reform of the law of contempt of court ,which is
the power of the court to punish for disobedience of disrespect to its
authority. however, many of the commission's recommendations were not implemented
by the government ,and the law of contempt in india remains largely unchanged to
the 47th law commission report was a comprehensive report submitted to the
government of india in 1971.the report covered various areas of Indian law and
made several recommendations for changes in legislation.
One of the significant recommendation of the report was the introduction of the
concept of irretrievable breakdown of marriage as a ground for divorce under the
hindu marriage act,1955.the report also recommended the introduction of a new
law to deal with the issue of domestic violence against women.
The report emphasized the importance of protecting human rights and recommended
several measures to prevent their violation.the report called for greater
awareness and education on human rights issues and the role of the legal system
in protecting them.
The report also highlighted the need for legal and judicial reforms to improves
access to justice and reduce delay in judicial process.it recommended the
estabilishment of alternative dispute resolution mechanism and the
simplification of legal procedures.
Overall, the 47th law commission report was a significant contribution to the
development of Indian law and the modernization of the legal system.its
recommendations led to several changes in legislation,and its emphasis on legal
and judicial reforms remains relevant today.
Recommendations Of The Report:
- Introduction of irretrievable breakdown of marriage as a ground for divorce under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.
- Simplification of legal procedures and the establishment of alternative dispute resolution mechanism to reduce delays in the judicial process and improve access to justice.
- Introduction of new law to deal with the issue of domestic violence against women.
- Introduction of legal aid programs for the poor and marginalized sections of society.
- Measures to protect human rights and prevent their violation, including greater awareness and education on human rights issues.
- Introduction of a new criminal procedure code to simplify and streamline criminal proceedings.
- Changes in the law relating to the prevention of cruelty to animals to make it more effective and enforceable.
- Introduction of a new law to regulate surrogacy.
- Changes in the law relating to inheritance and succession to make it more gender-neutral and equitable.
- Introduction of a new law to deal with the issue of juvenile delinquency.
These recommendations were aimed at modernizing Indian law and making it more
responsive to changing social and economic conditions.many of these
recommendations were implemented through legislative changes ,leading to
significant improvements in the legal system.
In conclusion the 47th law commission report was a significant contribution to
the development of Indian law and the modernization of the legal system .many of
its recommendations were implemented through legislative changes ,and its
emphasizes on legal and judicial reforms continues to be relevant today.
The report's focus on protecting human rights and promoting social justice
remains essential in ensuring a fair and equitable legal system for all.
- Pooja Kashyap
- Vivek Khowal