In this ostentatious world of literate people, jurist, philosopher with
certain human rights and fundamental rights there is harsh reality which is
ageism at workplace. While society is busy on focusing on gender equality,
Harassment, nationality, racism somewhere ageism at workplace is left out.
From where ageism defined
The term ageism was defined in 1868 by Robert butler as systematic stereotyping
and discrimination against older people because they are old in much the same
way as racism and sexism are response to skin color and gender. It is when a
person is discriminated for his age and treated unfairly. It is not restricted
to old people ageism may affect young and inexperienced people.
How does ageism look like
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. The same thing
applies to ageism at workplace where in reality the it is clear that it is
possible for age discrimination to go unnoticed.
- Imagine a situations where a 56 years old employment have less knowledge
about the technology and he was asked to resign as company wants a young
employee with more technological skill and knowledge.
- There can also be a situation where a 25 years old young boy is too
young to argue on a criminal matter or to cross examine.
Consequences faced by victim of ageism:
- They may loose confidence.
- They may loose their job.
- They may feel insecure.
- They may not get bonus.
- They may not get insurance policy
- They may be refused to get membership in any association.
- They may be treated unfairly as they raised their voice against ageism
- They may feel left out in many activities.
- They may feel overburden in comparison to other employees.
- They may feel demotivated and loose interest in their job.
Circumstances where ageism can be justified
- Minor who wants to be part of a contract.
- Any employee of unsound mind.
Let's think of a situation where a person below 18 (minor) wants to come into
contract or a person of 62 years where he is not mentally fit to perform his job
can be victim of ageism but here ageism is justified and reasonable because
minor can't come into contract. Ageism can be legal but with proper reasons and
Law against ageism in India
In India there is no statutory body which deals with the matter of age
discrimination as law against age discrimination is not codified. But this is
not yet the end. There are certain steps to solve the problem of ageism at
We must always take ide. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
ilence encourage the tormentor, never the tormented. The opposite of love is not
hate, it's indifference.- Elie Wiesel
- peak up - Don't let anyone lower your voice. A victim must speak about
his suffering to the concerned authorities and find some solution to
Example- In case of company, employee may speak about his problem to HR or
manager about his suffering.
- Positivist- Don't let anyone lower your confidence. Attitude plays an
important role in life where being positive may lead to recover from ageism
- Know your right - As there is no statutory body which deals with the
matter of age discrimination but there are certain right provided by
constitution like right to equality, any other right given by company to
- Be updated- employee must keep himself up to date as per the technical
demand. Must take advantage of training opportunities for employees.
- Interact with young employee- interacting with young employee will open
door to learn new thing as multigenerational workings environment is very
effective and efficient.
Indian parliament should come with certain laws which deals with ageism at
workplace or age discrimination. somewhere ageism is left out but it is a crime
against the dignity and respect of a person which is very tough to face and the
victim may loose confidence and may feel insulted which can have many
consequences like suicide, being alone, fear to interact with other people,
insecurity, feel demoralized and many more.
Indian government can make a law against ageism or they can make some amendment
in section 499 of Indian penal code which deals with the offence of defamation,
can also amend a law in torts which deals with defamation. Many other countries
take this crime seriously like U.s , they have age discrimination in employment
act of 1967 is a labor law which prevents employment discrimination against
people who are 40 years of age in United states.
Written By: Abhinav Kumar