It was held that among the attributes which must be present are:
1. The arbitration agreement must contemplate that the decision of the tribunal will be binding on the parties to the agreement.
2. The jurisdiction of the tribunal to decide the rights of the parties must derive from their consent, or from an order of the Court or from a statute, the terms of which make it clear that the process is to be an arbitration.
3. The agreement must contemplate that substantive rights of the parties will be determined by the agreed tribunal.
4. The tribunal will determine the rights of the parties in an impartial and judicial manner with the tribunal being fair and equal to both sides.
5. The agreement of the parties to refer their disputes to the decision of the tribunal must be intended to be enforceable in law.
6. The agreement must contemplate that the tribunal will make a decision upon a dispute which is already formulated at the time when a reference is made to the tribunal.
Other important factors include whether the agreement contemplates that that tribunal will receive evidence from both sides and give the parties opportunity to put forth their issues and hear their contentions; whether the wording of the agreement is consistent with the view that the process was intended to be an arbitration; and whether the agreement requires the tribunal to decide the dispute according to law.
The courts have laid emphasis on
(i) existence of disputes as against intention to avoid future disputes;
(ii) the tribunal or forum so chosen is intended to act judicially after taking into account relevant evidence and submissions made by parties before it;
(iii) the decision is intended to bind parties;
(iv) nomenclature used by parties need not be conclusive.
How To Submit Your Article:
Follow the Procedure Below To Submit Your Articles
Submit your Article by using our online form
Note* we only accept Original Articles, we will not accept Articles Already Published in other websites.
For Further Details Contact: [email protected]
Articles of YesteryearsClick on the link Below to check articles submitted in previous years:
Latest Articles - Law Articles 2017 - Law Articles 2016 - Law Articles 2015 - Law Articles 2014 - Law Articles 2013 - Law Articles 2012 - Law Articles 2011 - Law Articles 2010 - Law Articles 2009 - Law Articles 2008 - Articles 2007 - Law Articles 2006 - Law Articles 2000-05 - Archive
File Your Copyright - Right Now!
Lawyers in India - Search By City