| Was established on 31st October, 1966.
Initially, the High Court of Judicature at Lahore, which was established by
a Letters Patent dated 21st March, 1919, exercised jurisdiction over the
then provinces of the Punjab and Delhi.
Was inaugurated on 14 August 1862. Although the name of
the city was changed from Bombay to Mumbai in 1995, the Court as an
institution did not follow suit and remained as the Bombay High Court. The
High Court of Bombay, which is the chartered High Court and one of the
oldest High Courts in the Country. It has Appellate Jurisdiction over the
State of Maharashtra, Goa, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli. In
addition to the Principal Seat at Bombay, it has benches at Aurangabad,
Nagpur, Panaji (Goa).
Is the High Court was set up on
5 July 1954 under the Andhra State Act, 1953. Situated in Hyderabad and has
a sanctioned judge strength of 39.
Was established on 1 March 1948 after
the Government of India Act 1935 was passed. It was originally known as the
High Court of Assam and Nagaland, but renamed as Gauhati High Court in 1971
by the North East Areas (Reorganization) Act, 1971.
Was founded in 1949 at Jodhpur,
and was inaugurated by the Rajpramukh, Maharaja Sawai Man Singh on 29 August
1949. The first Chief Justice was Kamala Kant Verma. A bench was formed at
Jaipur which was dissolved in 1958 and was again formed on 31 January 1977.
Currently the sanctioned strength of the judges is 40 and actual strength is
Was established on 3 February 1916 and
later affiliated under the Government of India Act, 1915. The court is
headquartered in Patna, the administrative capital of the state.
Proclamation made by the Governor-General of India on the 22nd March, 1912
the territories of Bihar and Orissa which were formerly subject to and
included within the limits of the Presidency of Fort William in Bengal, were
promoted to the status of a separate province, and by Letters Patent, dated
the 9th February, 1916 the Patna High Court was ushered into existence with
Circuit sittings at Cuttack, and form the 26th February, 1916, the date on
which the aforesaid Letters Patent was published in the Gazette of India,
the High Court of Judicature at Fort William in Bengal ceased to exercise
jurisdiction, Civil, Criminal, Admiralty, Matrimonial, Testamentary and
Intestate, Enrolment, etc. in all matters in which jurisdiction was given to
the High Court of Judicature at Patna.
Was established in 2000 under the Bihar
Reorganization Act, 2000, after the state of Jharkhand was carved out of
the state of Bihar. The court has jurisdiction over Jharkhand state.
Was established as the Nagpur
High Court on 2 January 1936 under the Government of India Act 1935. The
Court was established in Nagpur, but after the reorganization of states on 1
November 1956, it was moved to Jabalpur. The court has a sanctioned judge
strength of 42.
Was established on 1 May 1960 under the
Bombay Re-organisation Act, 1960 after the state split from Bombay State.
Was established on the
basis of the Order No. 1 issued by the Maharaja on 26 March 1928. The
Maharaja appointed Lala Kanwar Sain as the first Chief Justice and Rai
Bahadur Lala Bodh Raj Sawhney and Khan Sahib Aga Syed Hussain as Puisne
Judges. The seats of the High Court were at Jammu and Srinagar. On 10
September 1943, letters patent were conferred on the High Court by the
Precisely, the former Princely
States had different systems of Administration and set of laws and in most
of the Princely States, the administration was run on the whims of the
Rulers or Wazirs and their words were considered to be the law.
Uttarakhand state was carved out
from erstwhile State of Uttar Pradesh on 9 November 2000 under the Uttar
Pradesh Reorganization Act, 2000. At the time of the creation of the State,
the High Court of Uttarakhand was also established on the same day at
| Formerly known as the High Court of
Judicature at Fort William, was brought into existence by the Letters Patent
dated 14th May, 1862, issued under the High Court's Act, 1861, which
provided that the jurisdiction and powers of the High Court were to be
defined by Letters Patent.
One of the three High Courts in
India established at the Presidency Towns by Letters Patent granted by Her
Majesty Queen Victoria, bearing date 26th June 1862, is the highest Court in
the State of Tamil Nadu, exercising Original Jurisdiction over the City of
Madras and Appellate Jurisdiction over the entire State as well as
extra-ordinary Original Jurisdiction, Civil and Criminal, under the Letters
Patent and Special Original Jurisdiction for the issue of writs under the
Constitution of India.
History can be traced back to the year 1884 when the Chief Court of Mysore
was created with three judges and was designated as the highest court of
appeal, reference and revision in the State of Mysore, the earlier name of
Karnataka. The court had District Courts, Sub-ordinate Judges' Courts and
Munsiff Courts to assist it on civil cases and a Court of Sessions, District
Magistrate and First, Second and Third Class Magistrates to assist it on
criminal cases. In 1881, the office of the Chief Judge was created and the
designated person had the utmost authority in the court. In 1930, it was
renamed as the High Court of Mysore and the Chief Judge was given the new
name of Chief Justice. In 1973, it got its present name of Karnataka High
Is the highest court in the Indian state of Kerala and in the Union
Territory of Lakshadweep. The High Court of Kerala is headquartered at
Kochi. Drawing its powers under Article 226 of the Constitution of India,
the High Court has the power to issue directions, orders and writs including
the writs of habeas corpus, mandamus, prohibition, quo warranto and
certiorari for ensuring the enforcement of the Fundamental Rights guaranteed
by the Constitution to citizens or for other specified purposes.
Was originally founded as the High Court of Judicature for the
North-Western Provinces at Agra on 17 March 1866 by the Indian High Courts
Act of 1861 replacing the old Sadr Diwani Adalat. Sir Walter Morgan,
Barrister-at-Law and Mr. Simpson were appointed the first Chief Justice and
the first Registrar respectively of the High Court of North-Western
Is situated at Chandigarh, the capital of the States of Punjab and Haryana.
The sanctioned strenghth of this High Court is 68 judges consisting of Chief
Justice, 36 Permanent Judges and 31 Additional Judges. As on 9th July 2012,
there are 41 Judges (including the Acting Chief Justice) working at High
Court. There are 46 judges on the strength of the High Court.
Was established on 1 November 2000 after the
Madhya Pradesh Reorganization Act, 2000 was passed. It has jurisdiction
over the state of Chhattisgarh. The High Court of Bilaspur is the 19th
High Court of India.
Sikkim became the 22nd State of India. Under Clause (i) of Article 371F,
the High Court functioning immediately prior to the date of merger became
the High Court for the State of Sikkim under the Constitution like any other
High Court in the country.
Government of India issued the Orissa High Court Order, 1948, under the
Section 229(1) of the Government of India Act, 1935, on April 30, 1948. This
order clearly stated that "from the 5th day of July, 1948, there shall be a
Court for the Province of Orissa, which shall be a Court of Record".
Finally, on July 26, 1948, Orissa High Court was formally inaugurated
File Mutual Divorce in Delhi - Ph no: 9650499965