Topic: Section 21. Constitution of State Human Rights Commissions
(1) State Government may constitute a body to be known as the………..(name of the state) Human Rights Commission to exercise the powers conferred open, and to perform the functions assigned to, a State Commission under this chapter.
1[(2) The State Commission shall, with effect from such date as the State Government may by notification specify, consist of-
(a) a Chairperson who has been a Chief Justice of a High Court;
(b) one Member who is, or has been, a Judge of a High Court or District Judge in the State with a minimum of seven years experience as District Judge;
(c) one Member to be appointed from among persons having knowledge of or practical experience in matters relating to human rights.]
(3) There shall be a Secretary who shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the State Commission and shall exercise such powers and discharge such functions of the State Commission as it may delegate to him.
(4) The headquarters of the State Commission shall be at such place as the State Government may, by notification, specify.
(5) A State Commission may inquire in to violation of human rights only in respect of matters relatable to any of the entries enumerated in list II and List III in the seventh schedule to the Constitution:
Provided that if any such matter is already being inquired into by the Commission or any other Commission duly constituted under any law for the time being in force, the State commission shall not inquire into the said matter:
Provided further that in relation to the Jammu and Kashmir Human Right Commission, this sub-section shall have effect as if for the words and figures “List II and List III in the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution", the words and figures "List III in the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution as applicable to the State of Jammu and Kashmir and in respect of matters in relation to which the Legislature of that State has power to make laws" had been substituted..
2[(6) Two or more State Governments may, with the consent of a Chairperson or Member of a State Commission, appoint such Chairperson or, as the case may be, such Member of another State Commission simultaneously if such Chairperson or Member consents to such appointment:
Provided that every appointment made under this sub-section shall be made after obtaining the recommendations of the Committee referred to in subsection (1) of Section 22 in respect of the State for which a common Chairperson or Member, or both, as the case may be, is to be appointed.]
1. Subs. by Act No. 43 of 2006 w.e.f. 13-9-2006.
1. Ins. by Act No. 43 of 2006 w.e.f. 13-9-2006.