Online Copyright Registration in India

Protect your creative work
Books, Songs, film, websites, Software, painting, fashion Design etc
Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 8851046564

Author Topic: Divorce Laws / Husband files for divorce as wife suffering from venereal disease  (Read 6514 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline rupa

  • Jr. Legal Expert
  • **
  • Posts: 23
  • Karma: +1/-0
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
Husband sues his wife for divorce under the Hindu Marriage Act 1955, on the ground that she had for some time been suffering from venereal disease, in a communicable form?

Offline tapsash

  • Jr. Legal Expert
  • **
  • Posts: 50
  • Karma: +3/-0
  • Divorce law Expert
    • View Profile
    • Divorce lawyer
Section 13 of Hindu Marriage Act 1955 lays down that husband or wife may by presenting petition, get the
marriage dissolved by decree of divorce on the grounds enumerated therein. Clause (v) of

Sub-Section (1) of Section 13 says lays down that Petitioner may apply for decree for divorce on the
ground that the other party has been suffering from venereal disease in communicable form.

In case in hand, husband can get decree of divorce dissolving his marriage with his wife on the ground
that wife has for somemetime been suffering from venereal disease in communicable form. If we see the
defence taken up by wife. then the fact that disease is curable is not helpful to wife. because from
perusal of base provision, it will clear that once it is proved by petitioner that respondent is
suffering from venereal disease incommunicable form, it is sufficient and it is no defence to urge that
disease is curable. So first plea of wife is not sustainable.

Coming to second plea, taken up by wife i.e. disease has been contracted from husband himself. Here
Section 23 of Hindu Marriage Act is relevant. Clause (9) of Sub Sec(1) of Section 23 lays down that' if
the court is satisfied that:

(a) any of the grounds for granting relief exists and not in any way taking advantage of
his or her own wrong or disability for the purpose of such relief and there is no other legal ground why
relief should not be granted, then, and in such a case, but not otherwise, the court Shall decree such
relief. The latter part of clause (a) of S.23(1), i.e. "is not in any way taking advantage of his or her
own , Tong or disability" read with the words at the end of Sub Section (1) "then and in such a case, but
no otherwise" makes it abundantly clear that the Court cannot pass a decree granting any reliefunder the
act in favour of a petitioner who is in any way taking advantage of his or her own wrong or disability
for the purpose of such relief. It is not enough that the petitioner has established the ground on which
relief is sought. His or her own wrong or disability is an absolute bar to the relief sought by the

In Tarachand v. 8mt. Narain Devi AIR 1976 Pun. 300 Punjab & Haryana High Court observed that Section 23
is based on equitable principle that he who comes to the court, must come with clean hands in other words
a wrongdoer should not be permitted to take advantage Of his or her own wrong or disability \ hile
seeking relief from the court.

In Dharmendera Kumar v. Usha Kumar AIR 1977 8C 2218 Supreme Court observed that in order to be "wrong"
within the meaning this clause, the conduct alleged must be misconduct, serious enough to justify denial
of relief.

]n case in hand, it is proved by W (Wife) that disease in question has been contracted to her from R
(Husband) therefore in view of provisions of Section 23 of Act petitioner is not entitled to decree of
divorce because he is trying to take advantage of his own wrong and disability.
Family law Expert
Contact me at ph no: 9873628941
Webpage: Divorce in India


File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

lawyers in Milan

Delhi - New Delhi
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration

Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi - Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2017
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India