Online Copyright Registration in India

Protect your creative work
Books, Songs, film, websites, Software, painting, fashion Design etc
Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 8851046564

Author Topic: Query regarding correcting the name on property  (Read 1409 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline KiranG

  • Newlaw
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
Query regarding correcting the name on property
« on: March 02, 2015, 02:00:36 AM »

Me and my husband, we own a flat which is in our joint ownership.  We both serviced the loan 50-50% from our own bank accounts.  This flat was bought right after we got married.  So, my name on this flat carries my husband's surname.  However, as circumstances would have it, I did not take up my married name and still use my maiden name.  It has been more than 10 years so taking up my husband's surname at this point would mean a lot of additional paper work.  So, I intend to keep using my maiden surname. 

I need to understand the procedure to correct my name on the property. 

It would be great if someone can guide me with this.


Offline Advocate M.Bhadra

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 153
  • Karma: +4/-3
  • Sr.Lawyer
    • View Profile
    • law empowerment
Re: Query regarding correcting the name on property
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 02:43:22 AM »
If the property was purchased  in joint name then it does not matter to effect your right and interest. But rectification deed is not possible if seller would agree to do it. However if you would like to change in other records as per your parenteral surname then you can submit your marriage certificate or decree of divorce or an Affidavit to the local Municipality/Corporation as well as Land Revenue Department.

---------M.Bhadra,advocate at Kolkata,9836589246
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:46:22 AM by Advocate M.Bhadra »

Offline KiranG

  • Newlaw
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
Re: Query regarding correcting the name on property
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 09:46:19 PM »
Many thanks, Advocate M. Bhadra for your quick response! 

Other than this property, my married name does not appear any where else, hence I thought I'd get this corrected as well.  From what you say, it seems that would not be possible - and I cannot get my paternal name on the property.

To ensure I'm understanding this correctly, let me summarise what I have understood. 

1) Since the property was purchased in joint name, my right to property cannot be questioned.  The marriage certificate should establish the fact that I am the same person.

2) If there is any question raised about my current name being different from the name on the property, I can produce the marriage certificate or submit and Affidavit to the local Municipality/Corporation and Land Revenue Department stating that I am the same person (?)  And that would be sufficient (?)

I had another doubt - in the event of death of one of us, the surviving partner will not face any issues in selling the property?  Or should we take some actions proactively?

Thanks again for your guidance.

Free legal Advice - lawyers Forum


File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

lawyers in Milan

Delhi - New Delhi
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration
Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi
-Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2018
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India