Online Copyright Registration in India

Protect your creative work
Books, Songs, film, websites, Software, painting, fashion Design etc
Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 8851046564

Author Topic: Cheated by builder  (Read 1694 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline shilznminz

  • Newlaw
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
Cheated by builder
« on: April 04, 2015, 07:03:04 AM »
I paid Rs.1 lakh (by cheque) as booking amount for a flat to a builder in Bangalore in August 2012. He provided a receipt and it stated that if the client withdrew later, 20% amount would be withheld. He did not do any construction, but made only false promises. He is absconding for last one year. Now I heard that he has been arrested on the basis of complaints from other persons who were cheated similarly. I read that he had cheated 17 persons ( amounts ranging upto 20 lakh for some persons) for more than 1.5 crore. I have not made any complaint anywhere. Sir, I want to know 3 things:
1. Is it worth to file a complaint and fight the case to get back Rs. 1 lakh, considering the cost and efforts involved? What is the possibility of getting the compensation in such cases?
2. Is it necessary to issue legal notice before filing a complaint in the District Consumer Forum or the Police, especially since the culprit is arrested already?
3. What should I do now, as the case filed by others will be going on in the Courts and Consumer Forums?

Offline advocate-lyngdoh

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 198
  • Karma: +5/-1
  • Member of Shillong Bar Association
    • View Profile
Re: Cheated by builder
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 03:56:12 AM »
you are supposed to lodge a police complaint first.

than you should contact those who have already filed against this person, and club your complaint with their's
Advocate Lyngdoh
Laitumkhrah, Shillong

Offline adv.amarnath

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 1528
  • Karma: +59/-7
  • Advocate Amarnath Sanyal from Kolkata, West Bengal
    • View Profile
Re: Cheated by builder
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 02:21:51 PM »
As per your first question, It is worthy to file a complaint case before the consumer forum and you will get remedy early without any effort and high cost. Possibilities to get back your earnest/ booking money is cent percent if you prove your case corroborated with evidence. Further you will get compensation, interest @ 12% p.a. till realisation of your earnest money and cost of the proceedings.

At this stage no notice is required to send to your promoter/ builder prior to filing a consumer case or file a complaint before local police station. But if you want your promoter/ builder to take action through criminal laws then you have limited scope before Consumer Forum as you have opted criminal proceedings. Better to avoid lodging complaint before police station as complaint to police station is not an important documents before the consumer court.

As per your last question, you should file a consumer case before Consumer Forum/ Commission having its jurisdiction before it is too late. Limitation is 2 years from the date of cause of action.



Amarnath Sanyal
Email -
Mob - 09830303322

Free legal Advice - lawyers Forum


File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

lawyers in Milan

Delhi - New Delhi
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration
Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi
-Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2018
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India