Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 9873628941

Author Topic: Distribution of Proceeds of Property Sale Among Inheritors  (Read 1161 times)

Offline dorchit

• Newlaw
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
My father died in 1988 without leaving a will. He had, with his own money, constructed a residential property. Inheritors of this property comprise my mother and 3 sons (including me) and one daughter who are all alive presently.

The property was being used by mother and son/s & their families at various times all these years with the full consent of all the inheritors.

All inheritors have now agreed that the property should be sold. The daughter has expressed that she does not want any share in the proceeds from the sale of the property. The mother and 3 sons would like to have the sale proceeds to be shared in the ratio 10:30:30:30.

Is this possible as per prevailing laws and if yes, what kind of a legal agreement is required to be executed by all the five inheritors?

What is the Wealth Tax implication for each of the beneficiary and the best way of dealing with it to minimize the incidence of Tax?

Offline saravanan.s

• Veteran at Law
  • legal advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Distribution of Proceeds of Property Sale Among Inheritors
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 03:51:13 AM »
since your father had died intestate the class 1 heirs are eligible to inherit his property.that includes his mother,wife and children.as per your case i assume that his mother is not alive.so each of you will get 1/5 share in the property.if the daughter doesnt want any share in the property then she has to relinguish her rights in the share through a registered relinguishment deed which means the remaining will get 1/4 share in the property.if your mother wishes to give part of the property then she can gift it to you all in whatever proprtions she want but before that she got to mutate her share in her name

Offline dorchit

• Newlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:41:01 PM »
Thanks, Mr Saravanam, for your prompt response and advice.

Won't it be simpler to draw up one single signed Agreement with legal validity among the 5 of us - Mother, Daughter and 3 Sons stating that we all agree to division of proceeds of the sale in the ratio - 10:0:30:30:30?

If this is possible, what is the actual process involved - value of stamp paper, witnesses required etc.

I would also like to have advice on how best to meet tax liability on the sale income for each of us.

Offline saravanan.s

• Veteran at Law
  • legal advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 02:33:35 AM »
yes alternatively if all the family members are agreeing for a amicable settlement then you can go for a family settlement.engage a lawyer to divide the property as per each of your family members wish and then register the family settlement deed for its not valid in the eyes of law if not registered.as far as your sister is concerned i think she must produce an noc or release deed (whichever your lawyer suggests) to relinguish her rights.

Offline dorchit

• Newlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 01:53:46 AM »
Thanks again, Mr Saravanan!

We are yet to engage a lawyer. As such, can you kindly clarify as who is the Registering Authority for the Family Settlement/Agreement.

I assume this should be drawn up on a Non-judicial stamp paper of suitable value and should be signed by all the five of us and witnessed by 2 witnesses. Please confirm.

File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
Bangalore
Pune
Pondicherry
Jaipur
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
Chennai
Allahabad
Ahmedabad
Jodhpur
Indore
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

Cochin
Lucknow
Ranchi
Thane
Janjgir
lawyers in Milan
Johannesburg

Delhi - New Delhi
Chandigarh
Surat
Nashik
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
Kolkata
Hyderabad
Rajkot
Nagpur
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration

Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi - Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service India.com is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2016
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India