Online Copyright Registration in India

Protect your creative work
Books, Songs, film, websites, Software, painting, fashion Design etc
Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 8851046564

Author Topic: Need Advice regarding forced marriage/engagement  (Read 1179 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline pr_eml

  • Newlaw
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
Need Advice regarding forced marriage/engagement
« on: June 04, 2015, 12:54:13 PM »

I am 23 y/old girl and my parents have fixed an engagement without my consent. I even tried talking to the other family and informed that I am neither interested nor have I given my approval, yet they refused to cancel engagement plans and even sent out cards to their relatives. I am worried that I will be coerced into the engagement and subsequently into marriage probably through force and intimidation .

Q1. What legal avenues can I avail to prevent this from happening? Can I send a legal notice ( or cease desist ) to my parents or the other family to disengage in any activity related to my marriage without my prior consent? If not, then what other options do I have?

Q2. Should I already start collecting proof of some type to support my case that I am being forced? Or is my verbal assertion sufficient for basis of it being forced?

Q3. In the scenario, I am coerced into an engagement , how can I break it or seek legal respite?

Q4. What , if any, other non-legal avenues can I pursue to prevent being forced into marriage?

Thank You.

Offline advkkreddy

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 163
  • Karma: +5/-3
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advice regarding forced marriage/engagement
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 07:57:41 PM »
the act says a valid marriage cannot be made by force.
it has to be wilful.

hence you make a written complaint to the police station in your jurisdiction stating that you are being forced to marry against your wishes.

also communicate with a woman's NGO for help
Champion in law of Torts in India


File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

lawyers in Milan

Delhi - New Delhi
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration

Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi - Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2017
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India