Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 9873628941

Author Topic: Copyright for brand name suggestions on Company naming contests(crowdsourcing).  (Read 1543 times)

Offline arjun22985

• Newlaw
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
I participated in a number of Company naming contests on a crowdsourcing website.I had submitted a whole lot of entries for every project along with exact match domain names,which is hard to find..Recently i discovered a great number of my submissions have been registered for domains & trademarks conspicuously a week or so from my date of submission on the contest(too many instances to be a coincidence) and the registrant names of the domains have been hidden in most cased with privacy locks.When i contacted the creative support,to enquire if the buyer could've registered the names illegally without making a purchase,they said they couldn't find any direct connections between the buyer and the registered domain names while they also suggested it could be a case of domain "frontrunning" where the site on which i searched for domain name availability could've stolen the data & registered the domains by themselves only to sell it for a higher price.Some of this entries of mine have evolved as a brand over the months.
I would like to know if this would come under copyright infringement or trademark infringement?
Though i haven't registered the trademarks for these names,i believe it to be my original idea for which i can claim the copyright.
The only evidence i have is the screenshots for the names & domains i have submitted on the contest,along with date of submission & the date the domain was registered(Whois database).Is that sufficient to make a claim for infringement.If so how do i proceed?Please assist.

Offline advbanani

• Jr. Legal Expert
  • Accident Claim and Cheating cases
    • View Profile
domain name is registered based on first come first come first service basis. whoever registers first it belongs to him. you cannot do anything on that.

brand name is trademarked not copyrighted.

now merely trademark registration is not sufficient for a name protection it has to be a WORD  MARK  protection, not only that it has to be IN USE to make a claim in Court.

in your case you did not trademark them hence  no question of word mark protection.

the purpose of Trademark is to use it not register them and keep it ideal that defeats the purpose of trademarking.

To sum it all you do not have a case at all, so no question of any claim or compensation.
Adv.Banani Mukherjee"
Jodhpur High Court
Accident Claim and Cheating cases

Offline arjun22985

• Newlaw
    • View Profile
Thanks for the clarification.It was helpful..

Offline Robinrusewell

• Jr. Legal Expert
    • View Profile
Copyright for brand name suggestions on company naming contests is based on first come and first serve basis. So my suggestion will be that keep your business name unique and easy to remember. Also competition
allow customers to identify you as a unique brand. So take suggestion from the best firm for Trademark & copyright service to register your business.

File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
Bangalore
Pune
Pondicherry
Jaipur
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
Chennai
Allahabad
Ahmedabad
Jodhpur
Indore
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

Cochin
Lucknow
Ranchi
Thane
Janjgir
lawyers in Milan
Johannesburg

Delhi - New Delhi
Chandigarh
Surat
Nashik
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
Kolkata
Hyderabad
Rajkot
Nagpur
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration

Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi - Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service India.com is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2016
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India