Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 9873628941

Author Topic: One night in the railway station  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Worriedtraveller

• Newlaw
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
One night in the railway station
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:37:18 PM »
 I'm so glad I found this forum and thank you all the lawyers for helping out the worrisome like me.

I'm not too sure if I'm posting this on the right forum. I couldn't find anything related to the indian railway law.

Here's my story. Me and my girlfriend are backpacking in India. I'm an indian citizen and she's chinese. We had to catch a train early in the morning from new jalphaiguri station so we decided to spend the night in the station waiting room. There were hardly anyone in the gents waiting room so we decided to stay in the ladies waiting room as we see some other couples too.
Half way through the night we were woken up by the police. They took us to the railway police station. One by one they started taking our details    (Name/address/police station etc) I tried to read the form where the police was writing down and I saw "arrest of memo" or something of that sort. He asked me to put my signature on the form and also asked my girlfriend to sign as a witness. I tried to explain him the situation but he was adamant to make me sign on the arrest memo. So I put down the signature. Now he tells me that there are two options. Either they send me to the court in the morning or I pay him the Rs 500 fine now. Having a train to catch in an hour I paid him the fine and left. I talked with the other couples and they said that the police just wanted some money and won't actually register a case whatsoever.
Now my mind has been wondering with many questions. If his only motive was to get some money why was he so adamant on me putting down my signature. He also mentioned that if I don't put my signature then there will be some other case registered.
He didn't asked any of us for any ID however I still answered all the questions truthfully (address,district etc)

I understand that under some circumstances I have broken the law so does this fall under criminal act?

Will a warrant be issued? I'm planning to study abroad , will this hamper on getting a visa or in getting a job?

I know this is a long post but a huge thank you for taking out the time for reading my post.
Right now I'm on the train to my next destination but can't help thinking about what happened. Some advice will definitely ease my mind a bit.

Cheers!

Offline advRanjithRajagopal

• Professional legal Expert
  • adv.Ranjith Rajagopal
    • View Profile
Re: One night in the railway station
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:06:59 PM »
what happened to you is unfortunate, next time don't enter a ladies room.

That police will not take the matter any further so relax.

next time you see injustice been done record it in your mobile phone.
adv.Ranjith Rajagopal

Offline Worriedtraveller

• Newlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 08:31:02 PM »
I always keep checking for a reply, finally someone replied. Thank you so much for taking out the time to reply. It helps.

Offline advkartik

• Veteran at Law
  • I this is advocate kartik, ask me your law query
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:34:20 PM »
every Indian faces such harassment from police its nothing new.

Its an unwritten rule in police training LOOT the Common man.

so relax the police wanted your money he got it, he has forgotten you.

he is never interested in anything where there is no money to make for himself.

Offline Worriedtraveller

• Newlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 07:35:15 AM »
I love my country but such situations makes me want to move to another country. No wonder most of our young and talented people wants to move out.

In the gents waiting room there were hardly anyone and the few that were there appeared drunk. The irony is that for my gf's safety we shifted to the ladies waiting room.

Yes under some circumstances I have broken the law and I don't mind paying the fine but the way they handled the situation was like I killed someone. I recall one of them even threatened me to keep me in the lock up. 

I think in a country like India even the comman man should start reading law books to save themselves from the money hunting police.

Offline Lawrook

• Newlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 11:26:25 PM »
It's a tough situation to be in. Ideally, you should have stayed in the gent's room and your gf in the ladies room.
Next time, if you want to avoid harassment and have broken a rule or law and get in trouble with police, just ask them straight: How much money do you want? and then negotiate also. We Indians are used to it.
However, if you really want to do something about it, you can get your gf to complain to Chinese embassy. They will take it up with Indian goverment directly.
This will require a lot of courage, but that's the only way to fight with injustice.

File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
Bangalore
Pune
Pondicherry
Jaipur
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
Chennai
Allahabad
Ahmedabad
Jodhpur
Indore
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

Cochin
Lucknow
Ranchi
Thane
Janjgir
lawyers in Milan
Johannesburg

Delhi - New Delhi
Chandigarh
Surat
Nashik
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
Kolkata
Hyderabad
Rajkot
Nagpur
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration

Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi - Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service India.com is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2016
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India