Online Copyright Registration in India

Protect your creative work
Books, Songs, film, websites, Software, painting, fashion Design etc
Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 8851046564

Author Topic: Child Adoption  (Read 1143 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ceepsingh

  • Newlaw
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
Child Adoption
« on: August 10, 2015, 05:28:52 AM »

I am about to get divorced, with my second motion due next month. After that I am planning to get married to another girl, who is also divorced and has a child from her last marriage. We are planning to have a temple wedding, and then getting it registered. I have following queries, and would be obliged to get them cleared:

1. What would be the procedure to become the legal father of the child ?

2. Since we live in different towns, and after marriage the mother and her child will move to mine, I have a very small time window to get married and bring them along. Some one suggested me that in order to save some time, I must at least adopt the child before the marriage, so that his school documents can be modified with his father's name and surname. Can I adopt the child before getting married to her mother ?

3. Can I adopt the same child before getting my due divorce ?

Offline adv.amarnath

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 1528
  • Karma: +59/-7
  • Advocate Amarnath Sanyal from Kolkata, West Bengal
    • View Profile
Re: Child Adoption
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »
Before I answer your questions, you must know the law regarding adoption.

As per the Hindu Adoption and maintenance act, one minor child cannot be adopted without the consent of his father. Now in your situation, you cannot adopt that child without his/ her biological father's permission though the mother of the minor child have already been divorced by her husband. Her husband can claim for custody of his child at any point of time until that minor child attends 18 years.

If the girl's husband has died or renounced from the world and/ or child is illegitimate.

Now Supreme Court has passed a remarkable/ landmark judgement that a mother can be sole guardian of a minor child and there is no mandatory to give a father's name of a minor child. Check out the said judgement.

So, you cannot adopt the child as you are willing to get married with the child's mother. Adoption means transfer of right of child from biological parents to another couple. So adoption is not correct in your situation as you are about the get married with the child's mother.

You can file a petition to become Legal Guardian of the said child only in case of  exceptional situation as said above. You need not required any adoption procedure/ formalities, which will be absoultely wrongly procedure and same is void ab initio. Just a Petition under relevant provisions under Guardian and Wards Act required to be filed before the District Judge and be the minor's legal guardian.

If the child is urgently required to get admission in school, then the child can get admission by her mother as his/ her guardian as per the rulings of Supreme Court.

For further details you can contact me

Amarnath Sanyal
Kolkata,  West Bengal
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:17:39 PM by adv.amarnath »

Amarnath Sanyal
Email -
Mob - 09830303322

Free legal Advice - lawyers Forum

Re: Child Adoption
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »


File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

lawyers in Milan

Delhi - New Delhi
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration
Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi
-Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2018
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India