Online Copyright Registration in India

Protect your creative work
Books, Songs, film, websites, Software, painting, fashion Design etc
Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 8851046564

Author Topic: Live In - legal status  (Read 1594 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline reenaravi

  • Newlaw
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
Live In - legal status
« on: August 24, 2015, 04:28:01 AM »

A divorced male friend of mine is having a live in relationship with a separated (married) woman for the last 2 years.

The Lady has not yet filed for her divorce as she has grown up children who are not in favour of her taking a divorce however are ok with her current seperated and Livein status.

1. Please advice if this relationship that my friend is having with this lady has any legal standing?

2. Please advice if the lady's marriage is still valid as she is separated from her husband for more than 2 years?

3.Please advice if the lady can apply for a divorce.

4. Please advice if it is illegal for my friend to have a Live in relationship with a separated woman or if it amounts to adultery? and the legal implications of the same.

Thanks and Regards

Offline adv.amarnath

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 1521
  • Karma: +59/-7
  • Advocate Amarnath Sanyal from Kolkata, West Bengal
    • View Profile
Re: Live In - legal status
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:17:14 AM »
Answer to the Query No. 1
No, you divorced male friend' relationship may turn into fatal in future. He may face legal consequences from that married woman's husband. Ultimately no legal status. Its a crime

Answer to the Query No. 2
Yes, her marriage is very much valid. Until and unless she gets a decree for divorce from district judge.

Answer to the Query No. 3
Yes, the lady can apply for divorce under the ground of cruelty and/ or desertion or any other provisions which is a fact in her life.

Answer to the Query No. 4
Yes, it is an adultery and he may be punished under Indian Penal Code, once a complaint is lodged against him before police station.

Amarnath Sanyal
Email -
Mob - 09830303322

Offline advuma

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 295
  • Karma: +12/-5
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
Re: Live In - legal status
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 08:23:55 PM »
live in relationship with a married lady is 100% illegal.
your friend should quickly get out of it, before the husband approaches the law.

adultery for the wife is a civil offence, but for your friend it is a criminal offence, he could get a jail term upto 7 years
if u like my posting plz submit your comments

Hi, I am advocate Uma Saika, from Assam

Offline saravanan.s

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 310
  • Karma: +23/-1
  • legal advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Live In - legal status
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 03:47:07 AM »
the lady has to first get divorce from her husband to join your divorced friend.her husband can anytime file a case of adultery on your friend u/s 497 ipc and if proved he would be punished with imprisonment upto five years.also note that the woman cant be punished under this section.


File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

lawyers in Milan

Delhi - New Delhi
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration

Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi - Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2017
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India