Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 9873628941

Author Topic: EBook and copyrights violations  (Read 1041 times)

Offline svignan

• Newlaw
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
EBook and copyrights violations
« on: December 05, 2015, 11:15:10 AM »
There are books published by a local publisher which has all previous semester engineering exam questions with their answers. I would like to create an eBook similar to that and release it for free with ads for revenue generation. I have some details to present before asking questions. I would like to use mathematical equations as images & theoretical concepts as text data.

1. These books have both mathematical and theoretical content.
2. We have various app which can be used to create images of mathematical equations.
3. Previously I thought the theoretical content was directly copied from other publisher's books, but I was wrong.
4. The publisher modified the theoretical content to simplify it for students.
5. The circuit diagrams and other diagrams used in theoretical concepts may have been customized as well for simplicity.

Questions:
1. If a mathematical question has an answer, can anyone claim copyright on the answer? For example, a mathematical questions like "Find whether the following system of equations are consistent. If so, solve them: 2x - y + z = 5; 3x + y - 2z = -1; x - 3y - z = 2".
2. I cannot imagine this question being answered any differently than what is stated in the syllabus. Sure the explanation of the answer may be slightly different like instead of writing "Adding equation (1), (2) & (3)", I may write "Adding equation (A), (B) & (C)". But is this even necessary?
3. Since we have a software which can generate images of mathematical equations, can I simply scan the mathematical equation and use it? Can I say that I got the image created instead of saying I copied it directly?
4. If I can use the scanned image of the equations from the book, what modifications are required from me to be able to use the scanned images?
5. Theoretical content is simply scientific concepts. For example, "Describe Laue's method for the determination of crystal structure." or "What are Brillouin zones? Explain using E-K diagrams". The concept is the same in almost any engineering book you choose, but can I use same exact content from this book in my ebook as well?
6. Since the theoretical concepts have diagrams as well, can I use the same diagrams?
7. Do I need the permission of the publisher for this? Can I do this without their permission since it is not their original content and they must have referenced other engineering books to draft this content?
8. If I need to modify the content to be able to use it, what should be the scale of modification? 60%, 70%, 90%?

If I cannot get answers to these questions in a response, can I have a call to get my doubts clarified?

Offline advarjun

• Sr. Legal Expert
  • Advocate Arjun India's Finest legal expert
    • View Profile
Re: EBook and copyrights violations
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 07:29:44 PM »
The publisher has copyright claim over only that aspect of explanation, modifications etc of which he has added his creativity.

He hold no claim on the question nor the mathematical equations which is not his creation.

In simple words only the presentation part is his copyright.

You change the presentation part and go ahead.

Goodluck
Advocate Arjun India's Finest legal expert

File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
Bangalore
Pune
Pondicherry
Jaipur
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
Chennai
Allahabad
Ahmedabad
Jodhpur
Indore
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

Cochin
Lucknow
Ranchi
Thane
Janjgir
lawyers in Milan
Johannesburg

Delhi - New Delhi
Chandigarh
Surat
Nashik
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
Kolkata
Hyderabad
Rajkot
Nagpur
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration

Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi - Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service India.com is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2016
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India