Online Copyright Registration in India

Protect your creative work
Books, Songs, film, websites, Software, painting, fashion Design etc
Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

Author Topic: Abandonment for not giving dowry  (Read 619 times)

Offline Heena68

• Newlaw
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
Abandonment for not giving dowry
« on: April 22, 2016, 09:55:16 AM »
My sister's husband is living in US,he came to India to marry her in Jan last year and he lived with her for 4 days in India and left her behind to wait for her dependent visa(she is working) but after 3 months that is by the end of march his mother and sister started demanding for dowry which they didnot want before marriage.he messaged my sister over the phone that he didn't want her in US if she does not give what his mother and sister asked for,them he unfriended my sister on Facebook saying that he did so as he didn't want her to tag him as her husband as his colleagues in US didnot know that he got married in India.then he kept pestering my sister for divorce since my sister asked him to return to India.he is asking for mutual consent but we have spent a lot on the marriage that actually lasted only 4 days but he is ready to toss his 2 months salary on our faces.he has recently messaged that he has found some one there.we asked him to pay the wedding expenses if he wanted mutual consent divorce but he now says that we are being greedy while he was the one forcing,begging my sister to release him.should we now make him come back to India by complaining to police or go to court or go to women's cell.he has demanded for dowry,cheated,lied,is having an extra marital affair and has exploited her.

Offline Gaya3

• Newlaw
    • View Profile
Re: Abandonment for not giving dowry
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 12:46:49 PM »
Hi heena,

i have seen a similar case with my neighbour. I will just tell you what she did hope you find it helpful

she was married with one 2 yr old kid and pregnant when her husband an IT guy went onsite for 5 yrs. after marriage her in laws separated her from her husband untill she bought a heavy dowry amount.. her parents sold all their property to do so.. he said he could not take her abroad bcoz she was she was expecting.. after 1 yr when she was ready to go he kept on delaying it. he kept on saying silly reasons but didnt take her along. her mom in law told her to stay in her mothers house until her husband came.. after 3 yrs of going abroad he said that he planed to settle in states so sign mutual divorce papers..  she said told him to come to India and get things sorted out.. He refused to come then she told him that she will approach the women's cell complain of dowry harassment.. he called her and said that he will kill her .. she then went to the assistant commissioner and gave in writing that if any thing happens to her life or her kids then her husband and his family is solely responsible for their death.. she scanned this copy and sent him. then he came to india after 2 months. she spoke to him in front of a women's right activist when he came. she told him to pay for all the expenses for the kids schooling, college and marriage. added with some monthly allowance for her multiplied by 50 yrs.. plus she told him to return all her jewels, the car's worth what they gifted her along with a two bed room flat which was registered in that husbands name.. she told him she will take the whole family to the court as the case will extend for quite a couple of yrs and as she said she will produce proof for everything he has done(she had recorded all the conversations). I think a pending court case will have some impact on his passport.. so in the end he was forced to pay the whole amount as he didnt have that much money in hand she instead wrote 2 family property in her name.

i hope you find this useful

Offline Gaya3

• Newlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 12:56:18 PM »
one more thing it is an punishable offence to remarry if he is already married to some one else.. if your marriage is registered you wont have any problem. hence either way if you sister is the 1st wife (assuming he is planning of marrying some girl) or if he is already married (he was 1st married before marrying your sister with out your knowledge) you hold the trump card.. tell your sister not be scared and be supportive that is what she wants most.. he is desperate for a divorce hence  it means something is severely wrong there

Offline Heena68

• Newlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 01:17:26 PM »
Since my sister is working he does not have to give anything to her which he says.
he has taken gold(we have bills) and loose cash(obviously no papers to prove that he took it) for which we don't have any records to prove that we have done so much for him.he says he will tell in court that he has not taken anything but we have proof of his mails and mess to my dad and sister.
Since he lived with my sister for only few days,can I ask her to complain to police? He says he will never return.

Offline Heena68

• Newlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 01:22:15 PM »
Heard it somewhere that,Even if we complained to police he can take bail in US itself,is it that easy to escape justice?

Offline advjaibansal

• Veteran at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:08:31 AM »
Dear Heena,

Under the circumstances as the marriage only lasted for four days, your sister should file a complaint for dowry harassment against husband, his mother and sister here in India before CAW Cell. I hope this may help you getting the justice and return your money. There is no such provision that husband can take bail in USA if you file a complaint herein India.

Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarification.

Regards,
jai bansal
advocate, new delhi
supreme court of india
bansal.jai@gmail.com
mobile: 9868566649
jai bansal
Advocate, New Delhi
Supreme Court of India
bansal.jai@gmail.com
mobile: 09868566649

Offline Heena68

• Newlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 03:40:30 AM »
Thank you very much.your advice was really helpful.I've asked her to lodge a complaint.

File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
Bangalore
Pune
Pondicherry
Jaipur
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
Chennai
Allahabad
Ahmedabad
Jodhpur
Indore
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

Cochin
Lucknow
Ranchi
Thane
Janjgir
lawyers in Milan
Johannesburg

Delhi - New Delhi
Chandigarh
Surat
Nashik
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
Kolkata
Hyderabad
Rajkot
Nagpur
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration

Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi - Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service India.com is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2016
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India