Online Copyright Registration in India

Protect your creative work
Books, Songs, film, websites, Software, painting, fashion Design etc
Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 8851046564

Author Topic: How much Alimony do i need to pay to my wife earning Rs 30000 if i am unemployed  (Read 1187 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline KaranSohal

  • Newlaw
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
How much Alimony do i need to pay to my wife earning Rs 30000 if i am unemployed.I have a year old daughter too.

Can i ask alimony from my wife.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:06:30 AM by KaranSohal »

Offline adv.amarnath

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 1528
  • Karma: +59/-7
  • Advocate Amarnath Sanyal from Kolkata, West Bengal
    • View Profile
Let me tell you first that if your wife is earning Rs.30000 and you have cogent evidence in support of your contention, then there is no question of payment or order for payment of alimony. It is against the provisions of Section 125 of the Cr.P.C.

Now if I critically analysis the provision alimony, then I must say that marriage is not a child's play and not suggestible to get married when a husband is not financially stable to maintain his wife. Generally, during the marriage, husband is an employee/ business man, etc (having source of income) but in life there is ups and downs and private jobs workers may face adverse situation of getting fired but that does not mean fired person shall not be able to income for his life time. Further a man cannot be survive without daily bread and butter with some earnings. So, in the eye of law, it is the responsibility of a husband to maintain his wife and kids during his life time. Even it is also pleaded before the court by the Advocates that well bodied persons cannot say that he is unemployed for more than 6 months or more. Several judgments are prevailing which I rely when I appear on behalf of the wife.

Anyway in respect of your situation, your Advocate must react and prepare your defense very strongly and should not mention what evidences you have at the beginning of the case. Good pleading will/ can save you from paying alimoy.

Amarnath Sanyal
Email -
Mob - 09830303322

Offline rajgopal sripathi

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 279
  • Karma: +15/-19
  • Welcome to Legal Win Consulting LLP
    • View Profile
    • Legal Win Consulting LLP
Totally agree with the comments of Shri. Adv.Amarnath.

Adv.Amarnath: Very well stated sir.
Rajgopal Sripathi

Offline advjaibansal

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 824
  • Karma: +24/-19
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
Dear Sir,

If you will be able to prove that you are unemployed and your income during the period when you were employed was less than the wife is earning presently. Then you may not be entitled to pay any maintenance to your wife. However at the same time you will be liable to pay maintenance to your child. Being a father of the child, you are under obligation to pay maintenance to the child. Court may pass an order directing both the father and mother to share the maintenance equally.

jai bansal
Advocate, New Delhi
Supreme Court of India
mobile: 09868566649

Offline Advocate M.Bhadra

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 153
  • Karma: +4/-3
  • Sr.Lawyer
    • View Profile
    • law empowerment
Quantum of alimony depends on your income and  liabilities, if your daughter is now in your custody and maintain herself then you have pay alimony only to your wife, unemployed does not matter.

On the other hand if your are unemployed and your wife is working then you can claim alimony from your wife by filing a case of Restitution of Conjugal Right with a petition of alimony.

Section 24 in The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955

Maintenance pen dente lite and expenses of proceedings. —Where in any proceeding under this Act it appears to the court that either the wife or the husband, as the case may be, has no independent income sufficient for her or his support and the necessary expenses of the proceeding, it may, on the application of the wife or the husband, order the respondent to pay to the petitioner the expenses of the proceeding, and monthly during the proceeding such sum as, having regard to the petitioner's own income and the income of the respondent, it may seem to the court to be reasonable: 54 [Provided that the application for the payment of the expenses of the proceeding and such monthly sum during the proceeding, shall, as far as possible, be disposed of within sixty days from the date of service of notice on the wife or the husband, as the case may be.]

M.Bhadra,Advocate at Kolkata,9836589246

Free legal Advice - lawyers Forum


File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

lawyers in Milan

Delhi - New Delhi
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration
Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi
-Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2018
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India