Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 9873628941

Author Topic: How to Present ( Open ) a will to family members ?  (Read 318 times)

Offline alphy

• Newlaw
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
How to Present ( Open ) a will to family members ?
« on: September 27, 2016, 01:17:57 AM »
Hello,
A house is in my father's name. The house was actually built using my own money and I do have proof of giving money from my own bank account & to give him respect & pride, we family members registered it in his name ( Electricity bill, municipal tax etc )

While he was alive my father made a will & registered it  & showed it to me. My brother got suspicious & found out that my father had made a will so he started acting like a thug & harassing all family members. After my father died he made our lives miserable so I did not even talk about the will & moved out of the house.

Almost 10 years since he died, I still have not shown him the will but now I am old, no income & need that house to survive.
Here are my questions & would appreciate any legal advice that members could give.

(1) Is there a time limit on the validity of a will ?

(2) I had collected the registered will from our advocate before my father died & has been in my possession since then. My sisters knows all about the will & have signed the will as two witnesses. So did my mother & she also died.
I know the procedure of transferring the property in my name & he is not going to make it easy but before I start that procedure, am I legally bound to show him the will & if yes, how ? I mean do I need any one else besides my two sisters to show him the will ? Am I obligated to show him the will ?

(3) Have I broken any laws by keeping the will in my possession for over 10 years & not opening it & showing him ? My reason is that I was under duress ( Fearful of him & him retaliate even harder ) & so were my 2 sisters who signed the will as witnesses.

(4) He has taken the full control of the house including changing the locks & talks about building another story over it. Can I file an injunction to give us all the keys & right to enter as well as stopping him from building further on top ? How long would it take to get an injunction ?

I would appreciate any legal advice.

Thank You

Offline adv.amarnath

• Veteran at Law
  • Advocate Amarnath Sanyal from Kolkata, West Bengal
    • View Profile
Re: How to Present ( Open ) a will to family members ?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:59:55 AM »
(1) Is there a time limit on the validity of a will ?
Ans: No, but court may get suspicious for delay in filing of Probate of a WILL

(2) I had collected the registered will from our advocate before my father died & has been in my possession since then. My sisters knows all about the will & have signed the will as two witnesses. So did my mother & she also died.
I know the procedure of transferring the property in my name & he is not going to make it easy but before I start that procedure, am I legally bound to show him the will & if yes, how ?
Ans NO
 I mean do I need any one else besides my two sisters to show him the will ? Am I obligated to show him the will ?
Ans: NO

(3) Have I broken any laws by keeping the will in my possession for over 10 years & not opening it & showing him ? My reason is that I was under duress ( Fearful of him & him retaliate even harder ) & so were my 2 sisters who signed the will as witnesses.
Ans:NO

(4) He has taken the full control of the house including changing the locks & talks about building another story over it. Can I file an injunction to give us all the keys & right to enter as well as stopping him from building further on top ? How long would it take to get an injunction ?
Ans: yes, you can get injunction.

** You know very well that you have deliberately or due to laziness you have not filed Probate Case and you have to suffer for same. I am sorry to say you harsh word but I believe you must know the facts. At the end you will get relief
Regards,

Amarnath Sanyal
Advocate
Email - adv.amarnath.sanyal@gmail.com
Mob - 09830303322

Offline alphy

• Newlaw
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 02:11:57 AM »
Dear adv.amarnath ,

First I am very grateful for your straight forward & candid reply.

To be absolutely truthful, I did not act upon the registered will is the fear of retaliation ( Duress ) & so did my two sisters.

But they are the two witnesses who signed the will as witnesses & are willing to testify if needed in a court of law, except that they are also old & fearful.

Only problem I am facing is finding an able & smart lawyer to take the case. Almost all that I talked to say that give us the case & asked for almost the whole cost of resolving the case & No guarantee that I will succeed even though I have a Registered will & two witnesses ( my two sisters ) besides me & willing to testify. But time is running out & only God knows how long they will survive in which case should I get an affidavit from them stating the fact that they are consignees ? 

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you & God bless you.

Alphy

Offline adv.amarnath

• Veteran at Law
  • Advocate Amarnath Sanyal from Kolkata, West Bengal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 04:16:12 AM »
To be straight forward with you again, I would like to say that you can file probate case immediately without further delay. I do not know from where you are from otherwise I am always ready to take up matter after having consultation in details
Regards,

Amarnath Sanyal
Advocate
Email - adv.amarnath.sanyal@gmail.com
Mob - 09830303322

File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
Bangalore
Pune
Pondicherry
Jaipur
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
Chennai
Allahabad
Ahmedabad
Jodhpur
Indore
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

Cochin
Lucknow
Ranchi
Thane
Janjgir
lawyers in Milan
Johannesburg

Delhi - New Delhi
Chandigarh
Surat
Nashik
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
Kolkata
Hyderabad
Rajkot
Nagpur
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration

Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi - Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service India.com is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2016
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India