Online Copyright Registration in India

Protect your creative work
Books, Songs, film, websites, Software, painting, fashion Design etc
Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 8851046564

Author Topic: Issue with Registering 2008 marriage in 2017 because of nationality change  (Read 827 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline nishan

  • Newlaw
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
I got married in 2008 Jan in Kerala and just had the marriage certificate issued by the mosque. We didn't have the marriage registered with the municipality. I and my wife were both Indian citizens when we got married in 2008. In 2017 I changed my citizenship from Indian to British citizen. My wife is still an Indian citizen.  We were looking to apply OCI visa for our son, who was born in the UK and is a UK citizen, which would require the parents' marriage certificate as mandatory. I tried now to apply for registering, to get the marriage certificate with my local municipality where the marriage took place but was told that they weren't sure themselves whether I could get it registered now since my citizenship has changed.

 I was told that since it's more than 5 Years old they wouldn't be able to do in the municipality and would have to send the application to the collectorate in Trivandrum and I should get a certificate from UK stating that I wasn't married to anyone in the UK. Even then they weren't sure whether we would get the marriage cert because of the nationality change and mentioned about a new circular from govt regarding registering of marriage involving foreign national, even though I mentioned that I was Indian citizen when the marriage took place in 2008. At the end, I was told to call/go back after few days as they would have to clarify this with the higher authority

Would appreciate if anyone would know whether it is possible and the right procedure to follow. Thanks

Offline advocate-lyngdoh

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 198
  • Karma: +5/-1
  • Member of Shillong Bar Association
    • View Profile
see govt offices cannot give you a solution,
you file an application in the family court, with your predicament the court will than give an order directing the registration office to register your marriage.
Advocate Lyngdoh
Laitumkhrah, Shillong

Offline advjaibansal

  • Veteran at Law
  • *****
  • Posts: 884
  • Karma: +25/-19
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with Registering 2008 marriage in 2017 because of nationality change
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:38:48 PM »
Dear Sir,

Please file an application for registration of marriage in the format given before the registrar of marriage with the original marriage details with your wife. Your marriage may be registered. Basically, you have concentrate on the fact that when you got married you were having Indian citizen. Marriage cannot be registered in Family Court or they can give you any declaration of marriage under Family Courts Act.

Jai Bansal, Advocate
Supreme Court of India
jai bansal
Advocate, New Delhi
Supreme Court of India
mobile: 09868566649


File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

lawyers in Milan

Delhi - New Delhi
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration
Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi
-Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) 2000-2018
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India