Call now: 09891244487

Ask Our legal Experts, on issues related to Divorce

File Mutual Consent divorce right away

Call at ph no: 9650499965
  Search On:Laws in IndiaLawyers Search

To Appeal before CIC - Central Information Commission
For Filing and Hearing contact: Choudhury's law Office
Ph no: 8851046564

Author Topic: RPO sends Indian passport cancellation for Police inquiry  (Read 578 times)

Offline mariagrace

• Newlaw
  • Welcome to legal Service India - law forum for free legal Information
    • View Profile
RPO sends Indian passport cancellation for Police inquiry
« on: February 22, 2018, 10:06:36 AM »
Hi all, Would like to seek legal opinions on the below

I was born in India. I am living in India since my birth, did my schooling and college.I acquired Indian passport in 2011 and used it only in 2016 after I got married.
My mother is French by birth and my father is Indian by birth. I also hold Indian birth certificate. In November 2017 I acquired French passport through my mother. After this period I did not use Indian passport.

I went to Regional Passport Office to surrender my Indian passport since India does not allow dual citizenship. The passport office there told us that we are holding dual citizen ship and forwarded our documents to police to take action before and did not issue surrender certificate. But according to our knowledge we have not used both the passports and we wanted to cancel Indian passport before using French passport and hence this should not be an offence.

RPO quoted Section 12(1A) of Indian Passport act in the letter sent to Police
"It is mandatory for Indian passport holders to surrender their passports to the nearest Indian Mission/Post immediately after acquisition of foreign nationality. Since the misuse of Indian passports constitute offences under Section 12(1A) of the Passport Act 1967, which states :
“whoever, not being a citizen of India -

(a) makes an application for a passport or obtain a passport by suppressing information about his nationality, or
(b) holds a forged passport or any travel document shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than one year but which may extend to five years and with fine which shall not be less than ten thousand rupees but which may extend to fifty thousand rupees"

We recently followed up with the commissioner's office and they told us that they are going to file FIR based on the above statement received from the RPO.

Can anyone advise us if what we have done is wrong according the the Indian law?
Appreciate all your responses.

Offline advjaibansal

• Veteran at Law
    • View Profile
Re: RPO sends Indian passport cancellation for Police inquiry
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 11:56:09 PM »
Dear Sir,

The Indian passport should ordinarily would have been deposited with the French Embassy at the time of issuing the French passport for cancellation. However, its not an office as you have immediately informed the Indian passport authorities after obtaining the fresh passport and tried to surrender the Indian passport.

As Indian passport authority which is not (ministry of external affairs ) have refused to issue the surrender certificate, you should file a writ petition seeking directions abasing the regional passport authority to accept the old passport and issue surrender certificate or return the Indian passport after cancellation of Indian passport. In the said writ petition also seek stay on initiation of criminal proceedings.

You will be needing the Indian passport in case, u desire to apply for OCI certificate, that will enable you to stay in India without obtaining visa I think. There is no dual citizenship in India started as if now. The cancelled Indian passport has to be retained by you for future purposes.

I hope there is no substantial delay in depositing the Indian passport after accepting the French passport.

Regards,
jai bansal
Advocate, New Delhi
Supreme Court of India
bansal.jai@gmail.com
mobile: 09868566649

Offline mariagrace

• Newlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:51:28 AM »
Thanks for your response, Jai.

Can you advise if in case FIR is filed, would this be a non bailable offence under Section 12 , Passport act?

Offline advjaibansal

• Veteran at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 11:14:25 PM »
However in couple of cases, I read bail was not granted where passport was forged. It seems its non bailable.

Regards,
jai bansal
Advocate, New Delhi
Supreme Court of India
bansal.jai@gmail.com
mobile: 09868566649

Free legal Advice - lawyers Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 11:14:25 PM »

File a Consumer Complaint
Property verification
Call: 9873628941

Lawyers in India - Listed city wise Mumbai
Bangalore
Pune
Pondicherry
Jaipur
lawyers in London
lawyers in Birmingham
Chennai
Allahabad
Ahmedabad
Jodhpur
Indore
lawyers in Toronto
lawyers in Sydney

Cochin
Lucknow
Ranchi
Thane
Janjgir
lawyers in Milan
Johannesburg

Delhi - New Delhi
Chandigarh
Surat
Nashik
lawyers in New York
los Angeles
Kolkata
Hyderabad
Rajkot
Nagpur
lawyers in Dhaka
lawyers in Dubai

Copyright Registration
Ph no: 9891244487

For Mutual consent Divorce in Delhi
-Ph no: 9650499965

Home | Bare Acts | Law Forms | Supreme Court Judgments | Legal Advice | Lawyers | Submit article | Sitemap | Contact Us

legal Service India.com is Copyrighted under the Registrar of Copyright Act ( Govt of India) © 2000-2018
Get Free legal Advice here from top notch lawyers in India